The following resources are intended for veterans seeking useful information on things like housing, employment, job training, and other resources for homeless veterans.
If you are homeless, or are facing homelessness
- The first step – start with the Department of Veterans Affairs: Homeless Veterans Services and Resources
- If you’re in need of housing: here’s a list of the Department of Veterans Affairs’ most recent grant recipients of Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) program. These organizations primarily focus on housing for low-income families. 2016 SSVF organizations (they are broken down by state on the left hand column).
- Information on the VA’s Mortgage Guaranty Program, emergency assistance for homeless veterans, foreclosure prevention, and individual state assistance programs, this Guide to VA Housing Benefits: by moneygeek.com is an extremely useful tool.
- If you still haven’t found what you’re looking for, and are still in need, visit the National Resource Directory’s comprehensive list of vital government and non-government assistance programs for veterans in need
If you need a job, but aren’t sure you have the necessary skills
- Information on Vocational Rehab thru VetSuccess.
- Local Veterans Employment Representatives (LVER) – Find your nearest VETS rep by state
- Disabled Veterans Outreach Program (DVOP)
Preparing for a civilian job
- You know your military experience can be applicable to many civilian jobs, but how do you communicate that? Check out this Military Skills Translator
- Resume Writing Tips for Veterans
- Important tips for job interviews