Title: Program Administrator
Exemption Status: Non-exempt Hourly
Location: Lanham office
Reports To: Program Director
Direct Supervisory responsibilities: No
The Mission: The Disabled Veterans National Foundation was founded in 2007 to provide assistance to veterans and their families. DVNF provides direct assistance and also collaborates with like-minded organizations in providing services to disabled and in-need veterans and their families. DVNF pays particular attention to underserved veterans, including disabled veterans, women veterans, homeless veterans, and those who suffer invisible wounds such as brain injuries and PTSD. Working on our own and with other organizations, we strive to advance the interests and wellbeing of in-need veterans and their families.
Summary: Under the leadership of the Program Director, the Grants Management Specialist (GMS)serves as the technical expert to grantees and foundation staff. The GMS is responsible for the day to day operations of the Capacity Building Grant program from grant intake through payments, reporting and grant closeout. The GMC will also perform duties such as increasing community awareness, supporting program goals, assisting with other programs, developing plans, organizing events, and building partner relationships. The strongest candidate for this position will demonstrate creativity, attention to detail, strategic thinking, leadership, excellent communication skills, flexibility, and time management abilities.
• Codes of conduct for the profession
• Standards for the profession
• Best practices in nonprofit governance and ethics
• Best practices in grantmaking
• Principles of conflicts of interest
• Funder and cross-sector collaboratives to achieve program objectives
• Approaches to analyze grant results
• Principles of and techniques to foster transparency
• Principles of data collection, management, and analysis
• Manage the intake of letters of inquiry and grant proposals.
• Manage all documentation related to grant processing.
• Work with the Program Director to invite new proposals and assist grantees throughout the proposal process.
• Track and review grant proposals and progress reports for completeness and compliance with IRS regulations.
• Respond to applicant and grantee questions regarding proposal status, subsequent payments, and other administrative inquiries.
• Contribute to the team’s development of criteria to evaluate the effectiveness of the portfolio and participate in the evaluation of the results.
• Review prospective grantee financial statements and organizational budgets.
• Code and update grant records in the grants management system.
• Oversee the management of the Foundation’s central grant files and ensure the integrity and completeness of each grant record, from initial request to grant close-out.
• Review progress report budget to ensure that grantee expenditures are consistent with the approved grant budget.
• With other team members, sharing collective responsibility for reaching annual investment and grant targets.
• Manages a portfolio of grants and charitable activities that advance the mission of the Foundation.
• Serves as program officer for these grants and the primary point of contact at DVNF for these grantees.
• Manages the process of review, disbursement and reporting for these grants.
• Identifies points of connection between grantees and surfaces stories of success from these grants.
• Assist in executing and ensuring DVNF policies are adhered to, program goals are met within outlined budgets, proper grant paper work filed, and procedures adhered to from start to finish with direction from Program Director.
• Work with Program Director to maintain program inventory and ensure accurate valuations.
• Work closely with the Program Director to assist in specified day to day activities relating to any of the foundation’s programs.
• Maintain knowledge of DVNF Programs and DVNF policy/procedures.
• Promote, implement, and plan new opportunities for program development with Program Director.
• Willing to go beyond the scope of the job description and assist all aspects of the program department.
• Manage DVNF database by ensuring all individuals served are entered accurately.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree
• 3 years of experience with grants management and/or a grants management database;
• Experience with grant-making and managing relationships with grantees.
• Experience with budget reviews, planning and/or management;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, analytical skills, and exhibiting a professional demeanor;
• Willing to take on responsibilities beyond the scope of the job description;
• Ability to work with minimal supervision and also function as a team member;
• Self-organized, can prioritize and multi task and detail oriented;
• Reliable transportation is required.
• Awareness and interest in veteran support – experience working on veterans’ issues and/or for a nonprofit a plus;
• Military experience a plus
• Demonstrated financial analysis skills, including the ability to analyze audited financials, balance sheets, and business plans of nonprofit organizations; facility with complex financial instruments desirable
To apply, send cover letter and resume to Programs Director Erin Gaian at firstname.lastname@example.org
* Veterans are strongly encouraged to apply
*Some out of area and overnight travel required.