Joseph E. VanFonda
Chief Executive Officer Sergeant Major (Ret)
Joseph VanFonda served in the United States Marine Corps for more than 27 years. He retired out of Quantico, VA in 2013 as the Regimental SgtMaj for the Wounded Warrior Regiment. In this role, he was responsible for the coordination of non-medical care for combat and non-combat wounded, ill, and injured Marines, as well as Sailors attached to or in direct support of Marine units and their family members in order to assist them as they return to duty or transition to the veteran status.
Joseph is a combat veteran who has a deep understanding of the Veterans Integrated System Network of the Department of Veterans Affairs. Knowing the many levels of care within the VA, Joseph has begun to implement a new core concept of operations of DVNF, known as Benefits and Resource Navigation (BaRN). This new and exciting concept of operations will help with the direct needs of our disabled veterans while providing additional resources that each disabled veteran earned while serving this great nation.
Joseph is very familiar with working with non-profit organizations. As the Wounded Warrior Regimental SgtMaj he served as one of the main points of contact and clearinghouse for persons or charitable organizations seeking to support wounded warriors through charitable gifts and special events.
Asked why did you accept the Executive Director position? “I have served our wonderful nation for 27 years. I believe in DVNF’s mission, which allows me to continue serving our American heroes – our disabled veterans in need, and we will do this with a relationship, not a process approach”.
Joseph VanFonda’s awards and decorations include the:
- Purple Heart
- Meritorious Service Medal with two gold star (3rd award)
- Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal with three gold stars (4th award)
- Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal with four gold stars (5th award)
- Combat Action Ribbon
- Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal (8th award)
- Humanitarian Service Medal with one star (2 award)
- National Defense Service Medal with one star
- Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal (GWOTEM)
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal (GWOTSM)
- Kuwait Liberation Medal
- Saudi Arabia Liberation Medal
- Southwest Asia Service Medal